Reduced to 5,729 the Uruguayans Displaced by Floods
Montevideo, Jan 15 (Prensa Latina) The data of the displaced in northern Uruguay by floods in recent weeks decreased significantly, being today in such conditions a total of 5,729 people.
On its latest report to the National Emergency System (Sinae, in Spanish) informed, according to the Joint Technical Commission of Salto Grande, that the river Uruguay fell from Wednesday afternoon below the security level in the three cities affected: Bella Unión (Artigas ), Salto and Paysandú.
The Departmental Emergency Coordination Centers noted that out of the total of displaced people, 5,224 were self-evacuated and 475 were evacuated by authorities of the territories and the system.
Most of those self-evacuated remain in the province of Salto with 3,708, followed by Paysandú with 2,250,Bella Union with 293 and three in Río Negro, while Artigas did not report any.
The Salto department with 232 and that of Paysandú with 100, were the territories reporting the higher number of evacuees.
Mauricio Guarinoni, National Director of Territorial Management of the Ministry of Social Development, said yesterday that sometimes is assumed 'that what is being done is the product of the local voluntarism and not a definition of the national government'.
In this regard he said that late last year a number of very important agreements were made, which turned into steps and actions in each of the territories affected.
He mentioned the Executive gave 275 million pesos for the emergency, the equivalent of about nine million dollars, where each agency gave a portion, he said.