Canada Issues Alert after Carbon Monoxide Likely Kills Five
Ottawa, Dec 25 (Prensa Latina) The Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec maintain the state of alert on Wednesday, after five people died and several others were affected, apparently due to carbon monoxide poisoning amid extreme cold weather conditions.
According to several media reports, the authorities of these territories urged citizens to not use gas heaters or putting their grills within their homes, and to go to the centers set up for that situation to avoid more victims.
Two people died in recent hours in the city of Toronto (Ontario) and three others in North Shore (Quebec), after inhaling carbon monoxide, which also caused numerous people, including children, to be hospitalized.
This weather situation has also caused that hundreds of people remain without electricity after a strong blizzard over the weekend in southeastern Canada, where trees were brought down and road accidents resulting in five people killed were reported.
Ontario reported 70,000 clients without electricity, while there are 28,000 in Quebec, 29,000 in New Brunswick and 300 in New Scotland in the same situation.
The most affected province is Ontario, which opened 15 centers to provide the needy with heat, and warned that the power cuts could last until the next weekend.
Besides power outages, harsh frost forced airlines to cancel hundreds of flights and caused interruptions of subway, bus and streetcar services in the affected territories.
The storm also hit the U.S. northeastern area, killing at least 14 people.